Would you like to learn new skills in medical engineering with a focus on multiscale bone biomechanics and the role of disease? Could you be a future research leader in providing solutions to some of Europe’s most pressing healthcare problems? Do you want to further your career at one of the UK’s leading research-intensive universities?
OncoEng is a UKRI EPSRC funded flagship program grant concerned with research into the identification and prophylactic intervention of metastatic bone disease in the spine. It comprises a collaboration between the University of Leeds, Imperial College London and University College London. The OncoEng+ network brings together researchers and innovators from a wide set of disciplines in the UK and abroad to tackle the challenges that underpin cancer using engineering and the physical sciences.
Specifically, this role aims to develop and implement new techniques to assess long term fatigue and fracture mechanisms within metastatic infiltrated spinal vertebrae and how these fractures may be prevented using novel minimally invasive implants.
The post also provides opportunities for enhanced professional development through further collaboration and training opportunities. To complete this exciting project you will be based in the Institute of Functional Surfaces and have access to world leading equipment including advanced simulators and other apparatus. This project will be supervised by Dr. Michael Bryant, Professor Tze Wah, Professor Richard Hall and is part of the EPSRC Program Grant ‘OncoEng’.
We are open to discussing flexible working arrangements.
What we offer in return
- 26 days holiday plus approx.16 Bank Holidays/days that the University is closed by custom (including Christmas) – That’s 42 days a year!
- Generous pension scheme plus life assurance – the University contributes 21.6% of salary.
- Health and Wellbeing: Discounted staff membership options at The Edge, our state-of-the-art Campus gym, with a pool, sauna, climbing wall, cycle circuit, and sports halls.
- Personal Development: Access to courses run by our Organizational Development & Professional Learning team, and self-development courses including languages, Creative Writing, Wellbeing Therapies and much more.
- Access to on-site childcare, shopping discounts and travel schemes are also available.
And much more!
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact:
Dr. Michael BryantAssociate Professor
Tel: +44 (0)113 343 2161 or email: MGBryant@leeds.ac.uk
Location: Leeds – Main Campus
Faculty/Service: Faculty of Engineering & Physical Sciences
Section: Institute of Functional Surfaces
Salary: Due to funding restrictions, an appointment will not be made higher than £37,474 pa
Working Time: 37.5 hours per week
Contract Type: Fixed Term (2.5 years due to grant funding)
Interview Date: To be confirmed