Institute of Applied Health Research – Birmingham Clinical Trials Unit
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range of £25,506 and £27,399 with potential progression once in post to £31,718 per year.
Fixed Term Contract up to 24 months
The Birmingham Clinical Trials Unit (BCTU) is a leading national clinical trials unit (CTU) within the College of Medical & Dental Sciences at the University of Birmingham specializing in the design, conduct and analysis of definitive clinical trials and test evaluation studies, under the Directorship of Professor Katie Morris.
- Ensure smooth day-to-day running of the study/trial protocol and data collection. This will involve the postholder ensuring they have a good understanding of how the general concepts underlying the design, conduct and analysis of clinical trials apply to routine trial management procedures and also how the clinical background and specific research questions being addressed applies to trial administration and data. management.
- Responsible for ensuring that trial data set(s) are complete, accurate and up to date. This will be achieved by running queries to interrogate trial databases and performing regular, systematic checks of information on the data base(s) and taking steps to correct any missing, contradictory or incorrect data. In addition the postholder will produce reports and lists on both a regular and ad-hoc basis.
- Maintain research & administrative databases to produce clean data sets for statistical analysis. This will involve the management of medical data and operation of complex data base and information systems in order to code and abstract medical data and routine data entry.
- Record and code incoming forms etc, checking for inconsistencies, violations and unusual or adverse events. Maintain and circulate coding lists under the guidance of the statistician, manager and programmer.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience Required
- A degree (or equivalent) in a relevant biomedical or associated subject, and be able to demonstrate relevant work experience eg in clinical trial management or as a clinical research nurse.
- An aptitude for large and/or more complex relational databases eg MS Access or SQL Server, including query/report writing and a full range of data verification, cleaning techniques.
- Experience of using statistics packages such as SPSS, Minitab, BMDP or SAS.
- Understanding of medical terminology and experience in interpreting and coding medical data
- Excellent all-round office management and clerical skills must include computing and office automation skills (eg email, word processing & document layout, the use of mail merge etc).
- Must demonstrate a critical and intelligent attention to detail
- High standards of accuracy and apply a sound knowledge of the research framework to the work.
For informal inquiries please contact Amanda Knightajknight@bham.ac.uk
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below or visit https://edzz.fa.em3.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_6001/requisitions. Please quote the Job Ref 80981 in all enquiries.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.