Wellcome is a global charitable foundation. We improve health for everyone by funding science, leading policy and advocacy campaigns, and building partnerships.
We plan to spend £16bn over the next ten years, funding new discoveries in life, health and wellbeing, and taking on three global health challenges: mental health, infectious disease and climate.
These challenges need the bold research our funding supports, but they won’t be solved by science alone. We are looking for a Directed Activities Funding Manager.
What will I be doing?
You will be a vital part of Wellcome and you’ll help us to achieve our aims whilst we help you to achieve yours. Your task is to ensure that grant applications are submitted through the Health Challenge Areas of Mental Health, Infectious Disease and Climate & Health are managed, reviewed, and awarded in a timely and efficient way. You’ll be the person our internal teams and community of researchers will turn to for guidance and advice. You’ll have ownership of your own portfolio of grants, giving you exposure to innovative proposals from leading researchers worldwide. This role offers a fantastic opportunity to be an integral part of a team ensuring that world-class research happens.
In this role you will
- Manage applications and awards
- Carry out due diligence on grant applications
- Manage peer reviews
- Prepare applications for, and attend, funding advisory committees
- Advise internal funding teams and our community of researchers on the management of grant applications and awards.
- Deliver the processing, due diligence, peer review, feedback and award of grant applications for Wellcome’s Health Challenge Areas within established deadlines and according to defined standards and controls.
- Work collaboratively across Wellcome to provide expert advice, guidance and support on directed funding processes.
- Manage a portfolio of grants throughout the grant lifecycle, including:
- processing applications through the grants system and managing system administration
- managing communications with multiple teams across Wellcome and grant-holders undertaking due diligence, including determining eligibility, examining, and challenging costs, ensuring compliance with Wellcome funding policies
- preparing application papers for funding advisory committees within defined deadlines
- implementing funding decisions and managing award processes including notification to applicants, drafting feedback letters, and writing award letters.
- Manage the peer review process including:
- using subject area expertise to identify appropriate referees
- Managing communications with multiple referees
- ensuring sufficient high-quality referee reports are received within committee deadlines.
- Work with internal stakeholders, grant holders and university research offices to ensure the smooth and effective management of awarded grants by:
- maintaining detailed knowledge of Wellcome policies and using judgment in handling complex queries
- managing grant casework during the lifecycle of the grant, for example: requests for parental and sick leave, transfers, supplements
- Evaluating milestone reports and end of grant reports
To be successful in this role you will have
- Education to a degree level in a life sciences subject
- Experience of the academic research environment
- Have exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage large workloads and work to tight deadlines whilst maintaining the highest standards
Closing date: 23rd October 2022
Contract type: Permanent
To apply please upload your current CV and complete our short application form.
You can view the full job description here
We understand that our colleagues have commitments and personal interests outside of work and we strive to build a flexible working environment, in which people can perform at their best. We are currently working 2 days per week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) from our Euston Road offices as part of a hybrid working pilot (until January 2023) with the remaining 3 days from home.
You can read more about the benefits we offer our employees here
Diversity and Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do
Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Wellcome. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments for people who have a disability or long-term condition. If you would like us to make adjustments during the application process, please contact us at email@example.com.