Job ID: 8862
Location: Tyler, TX
Full/Part Time: Full-time
Commensurate with experience
Hours per week
Required Application Materials
A single PDF or Word document containing a resume, letter of interest, and a list of three (3) professional references is required to apply.
When prompted to upload your “resume”, upload your combined documents as one file.
- Please do not Upload documents to “Cover Letter” or “References”.
If the required application materials were not uploaded at the “resume” prompt, please withdraw your application, and re-apply to upload your combined documents as one file.
The Vice President, Chief Information Officer/Information Technology is responsible for providing leadership for all short and long-term information technology (IT) needs of all campuses of The University of Texas at Tyler (UTT) as well as leading, directing, and managing. IT operations. This position will work in partnership with leadership to enhance and support UTT’s mission in higher education, research, public service, and advanced healthcare delivery. This position reports to the EVP, Administration / Chief Business Officer.
Major Responsibilities/Duties/Critical Tasks
- Ensure standards and compliance policies are met for all computerized systems, information processing equipment, data center(s), technical services, communications networks (voice and data), and application software.
- Work with University leaders to define, develop, and maintain the strategic direction of all information management, information analysis, business intelligence, communication systems, and IT related operations.
- Provide direction and guidance to leadership and ensure that developmental plans are in place to support effective succession management. Establish departmental goals, objectives, and operating procedures that ensure the effective execution of the department and the attainment of organizational goals.
- Provide overall management and definition of all computer and communication activities within the enterprise including responsibility for providing a leadership role in the day-to-day operations of IT functions as well as providing directions as the enterprise grows through internal growth and external development.
- Interact with the executive management team to monitor and validate the enterprise’s compliance and information technology with its security policies as well as state and national patient safety and privacy policies.
- Work closely with the Chief Information Security Officer of the facility to ensure data is accessed, stored, and transmitted in a secure fashion.
- Provide leadership to ensure UTT meets all information technology regulatory requirements of The University of Texas System, the federal government, and the State of Texas.
- Design and lead campus IT governance that effectively includes key stakeholders in decision making.
- Develop and demonstrate a high performing service-oriented IT culture.
- Ensure continuous delivery of information technology services through oversight of service level agreements with end users and monitoring of information technology systems performance.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and continuity plan.
- Develop and demonstrate an excellence in operations culture, including successfully prioritizing deliverables, and identifying/meeting performance goals.
- Develop and oversee annual IT budget (capital and operating).
- Identify opportunities for the appropriate and cost-effective investment of financial resources in information technology systems and resources, including staffing, sourcing, purchasing, and in-house development.
- Support information security programs developed by the UTT chief information security officer. Provide support to audit/compliance programs with respect to IT.
- Manage strategic vendor relationships, information technology contracts, and master agreements.
- Maintain high levels of communication with all key stakeholders.
- Maintain productive relationships with departmental IT representatives and UT System IT representatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education/Experience
- Master’s Degree in Information Technology or a computer related field, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience in a related field is required. Higher level degree with relevant computer science or technology coursework is preferred.
- Fifteen (15) years of experience in a related field with demonstrated competencies in higher education leadership, institutional effectiveness, strategic planning, project management, team management, budgeting, communication skills, student information systems, student technology support, classroom technology, electronic medical records , physician practice revenue cycle management workflows, ERP applications, and IT related infrastructure are required.
Accompanying Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Demonstrate communication skills that enable him/her to provide vision and direction to a large group of highly successful professionals across a broad range of disciplines.
- Exceptional management and business/operational skills. Excellent communication skills. Responsibility for review, development, recommendation, and implementation of policies related to assigned activity, program, or function.
- Knowledge of State of Texas Government Code, Section 2054.075(b) and the IRM Designation Letter. This position is responsible for ensuring compliance with all IHE requirements listed on the Agency Checklist 2.0.
About The University of Texas at Tyler
The University of Texas at Tyler is part of the prestigious University of Texas System that includes 13 institutions located throughout the state. Founded in 1971, UT Tyler today enrolls 10,000 students and consists of six colleges.
Our beautiful Tylercampus features more than 200 acres nestled along a lake and surrounded by thick pine and oak forests, providing a picturesque location for study and recreation. We also offer instructional sites at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler and in Palestine, Longview, and Houston.
With more than 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs offered, UT Tyler provides a wealth of learning opportunities and dynamic programs.
For more information, please visit https://www.uttyler.edu/about/.
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length. This position has the option to elect the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) instead of TRS, subject to the position being 40 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code Section 51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information. Applicants selected must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States by time of hire.
The University of Texas at Tyler is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. Women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.