Location: Daresbury Laboratory – Warrington
Hours: Full Time (We understand the importance of work-life balance, and are happy to discuss the possibility of flexible working with applicants)
Come and do the kind of engineering that made you want to be an engineer. Stretch your technical skills while building human understanding. Promote sustainability and create new materials. And, alongside world-leading scientists and technologists, shape projects that improve lives, and daily life, in the UK and far beyond.
Put simply, come, and discover the impact you can make when you’re equipped, encouraged, and inspired to perform to your very best.
Are you looking to use the very latest data frameworks, APIs, applications, and services in the cloud and on-premises in a role with career prospects, extensive benefits, and learning & development that is second to none? Then this is the job for you!
Hartree’s mission is to accelerate the adoption of cutting-edge computing to allow the organizations we work with to be innovators in their fields. We work across a diverse range of business and scientific domains and collaborate with SMEs, large enterprises, and universities to address their most pressing challenges. We are proud of the center’s real-world economic and societal impact, and you will join a culture that focuses on the worthwhile application of the latest technologies at scale. You will be supported by a friendly and collaborative culture, and while we are serious about results, our experience of getting there is enjoyable and fun. We are well-established, expanding and backed by UK government investment.
- Building data pipelines and configuring & deploying technologies for dealing with data at scale.
- Data analysis and synthesis, helping teams apply a range of techniques for data profiling.
- Conducting exploratory analyzes of data and developing ways of automatically preparing data for machine learning at high volume and velocity.
- Writing well structured, tested, and maintainable code & scripts.
- Participating in code & technology reviews and presenting your work in knowledge exchange sessions.
- Deploying and scaling apps and services using CI/CD and managing your work with VCS/DVC systems.
- Creating high-quality data assets, documentation, reports, case studies, and web content.
- Assisting our Business Development team to build new relationships and opportunities.
- Assisting with use case analysis, story mapping, requirements capture, and project planning.
- Supporting your colleagues by continuing to learn and grow working within small agile teams.
We are looking for candidates with experience in some or all of the following:
- A degree or equivalent in a computer-related discipline or applied discipline or domain.
- A background in data engineering, data science or building data intensive apps in private, public or academic research sectors.
- Experience in managing data, metadata, and data repositories with various data technologies including RDBMS & NoSQL.
- Server-side development experience with at least one general purpose programming language (eg, Java, Kotlin, Python, Go, C++/C#) and Infrastructure as Code in the cloud (IaC).
- Familiarity with Linux and managing processes & pipelines on the CLI.
- Experience of batch & streaming data stacks such as K8s, Spark, Flink, Pulsar & Kafka would be an advantage.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with basic statistical analysis of data.
- A genuine passion for data engineering and the transformative power of data to drive decision making, innovative business models, and innovation.
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business-support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. And they turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe’s largest research organizations by your side? Join us and discover what’s possible.
Choosing to come to work at STFC means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits including a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme.
Please include a covering letter outlining how you fit the role criteria. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded.
The closing date for applications is 25th September 2022.