About this Opportunity
Ball State University is seeking an innovative leader to continue the evolution of Human Resources into one that is focused on the people that work there and the special culture that exists. The continued transformation to a re-imagined department in which human resources is a thought-partner in problem-solving and is a “best practices” model of a people and culture enhancing department.
Ball State’s mission is to empower its students to have fulfilling careers and meaningful lives. The University seeks to build its reputation as an employer of choice by strengthening human resources (people and culture) practices that tie to recruitment, professional and career development, retention, employee well-being, and more. This commitment is outlined in Goal 5 of the current strategic plan. The Associate Vice President for People and Culture (AVPPC) will be well-supported by the President, university leadership, as well as by the Board’s dedicated committee – the Employee Development and Wellbeing Committee.
Why Consider the Opportunity?
* Transformation. This leader will spearhead the efforts to enhance Ball State’s reputation as an employer that cares about culture, people, and employee well-being.
* Support and visibility. Significant institutional support for this transformation exists beginning with the Board through the president, provost, and throughout the leadership team. The Deans and the Colleges are also engaged and highly supportive. There will be dedicated opportunities for strategic interface with the president, executive leadership, and the Board.
* Vision. Bring knowledge of best practices and vision to help re-imagine the human resources function.
* Collaboration. The AVPPC will work closely with Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence to further the University’s inclusive excellence goals and plans.
* Location. Muncie, Indiana boasts a low cost of living, a vibrant arts and cultural scene, and a revitalized riverfront downtown. Housing remains affordable in the greater Muncie area.
Inclusive Excellence Statement
At Ball State University, inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts.
Length of Assignment: Full-Time At-Will
The AVPPC reports to the Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer and serves as the University’s Chief Human Resources Officer. The AVPPC provides strategic leadership to the Department (currently called Human Resources) in service to the University’s administrators, faculty, and staff and will lead, build, and maintain a customer service-oriented human resources function that focuses on talent acquisition, employee development, employee well-being, benefits, compensation, and employee/labor relations, guided by the University strategic plan and enduring values. The AVPPC will lead the efforts to develop human resources from a largely administrative and compliance-oriented function toward a re-imagined department in which human resources is a thought-partner in problem-solving and is a “best practices” model of a people and culture enhancing partner.
In our strategic plan, we define inclusiveness as a commitment “to respect and embrace equity, inclusion, and diversity in people, ideas, and opinions.” At Ball State University, diversity is an integral part of our identity. More than accepting difference, we honor and celebrate the diversity of experiences, perspectives, backgrounds, and unique identities of the people in our workforce. BSU offers a non-discriminatory environment that is open, fair, and inclusive for all individuals across distinctions of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socio-economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, or medical condition. The success of the University depends on the presence, representation, and inclusion each person brings to our community.
Core Areas of Focus:
* Culture and Values – partnering with the Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence, and the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs and Professional Development, and the President’s Cabinet, to develop a plan to create a culture of engaged, value-driven employees.
* Transformation – continue the pursuit of excellence in a department focused on service, data-informed decision making, strategic partnerships, and collaboration.
* Talent Acquisition – lead the redesign and implementation of the talent acquisition process for the University to attract and retain a high-quality, engaged workforce.
* Talent Management – lead the development of a comprehensive plan to retain and develop employees, including performance management, coaching, training and development.
* Inclusive Excellence – In collaboration with the Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence continue the development and maintenance of a diverse and inclusive culture.
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
Minimum of 10 years of human resources management/leadership experience.
- Solid knowledge of best practices in all facets of HR, with the ability to develop and utilize HR data and metrics in decision making.
- Experience in enhancing employment and search practices to enable Ball State to recruit and employ top talent as well as diverse talent.
- Demonstrated experience in change management.
- Demonstrated capability in adapting and innovating HR practices and solutions.
- Demonstrated experience implementing HR policies and procedures using technology that improves operations, including HRIS, performance management systems, and payroll systems.
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal and interpersonal – and an ability to tailor communication style to diverse audiences.
Authorization to work in the US
Candidates for searches must have current authorization to be employed in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.
Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
Knowledge of the higher education sector is preferred.
HR certifications are a plus (SPHR, GPHR)
Requires successful completion of a credit check., Requires successful completion of a background check and education verification.
Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
About Ball State University
Proud Past. Bright Future.
Ball State University’s nearly 3,600 faculty and staff deliver excellent instruction, pursue world-class research and creative endeavors, and provide exemplary service to approximately 20,000 graduate and undergraduate students across seven academic colleges with about 190 undergraduate programs. Ball State offers more than 140 certificates and master’s, doctoral, and specialist degrees, many of them ranking among the best in the nation. Originally founded to meet the need for more and better teachers, Ball State has earned a Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation and serves as one of Indiana’s public research institutions while remaining committed to empowering its graduates to have fulfilling careers and meaningful lives.
For 103 years, Ball State has had an unwavering belief in an education rooted in creativity, values, and intellectual curiosity. The institution was founded on the beneficence and tenacity of the Ball brothers, who gave back to the community that gave them so much. What began as a teachers college has grown into a world-class University with highly respected programs in education, architecture, business, communications, fine arts, sciences, humanities, and the health professions.
Symbolized by the statue Beneficence, Ball State’s enduring values-excellence, integrity, inclusiveness, innovation, courage, social responsibility, and gratitude-guide the University today and will endure as it enters a bright future. These values were front and center in the 2018 legislation to assign control of Muncie Community Schools to the University. This partnership has to date led to stabilization of enrollment and finances and many instances of collaboration between the schools and the University.
The best is yet to come.
Destination 2040: Our Flight Path establishes Ball State University’s ambitious goals for the second century. This strategic plan was designed with input from faculty, staff, students, alumni, community partners, and benefactors. It provides a strategic framework with five long-term goals for 2040 and a set of strategic imperatives to be executed by 2024. Goal #5 (Institutional and Inclusive Excellence) highlights the desire for Ball State to differentiate itself as an employer of choice by strengthening human resources (people and culture) practices that tie to recruitment, professional and career development, retention, and employee well-being. There is passion and commitment from the President and the leadership team as well as support from a dedicated Board committee called the Employee Development and Wellbeing Committee.
Department: VP for Business Affairs/Treasurer:130010
Department Email or Phone Number
Posting Number: 202201108P
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date: 01/03/2023
Open Date: 09/07/2022
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions Summary
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled; parties are encouraged to apply by October 19th, 2022. Please submit your resume, a cover letter outlining your interest in and suitability for this position, and a diversity statement (500 words maximum) that responds to the following statement:
At Ball State University, inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts. In your application, please describe how you would contribute to the development of a diverse and inclusive culture at Ball State University.
To apply online, go to: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su321
To make recommendations or for more information:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Duties & Responsibilities
Lead the continued transformation of human resources toward strengthening the University’s practices that strengthen the recruitment, development, and well-being of its employees, while maintaining excellence in core administrative functions and compliance functions.
Provide strategic leadership and guidance; establish goals, policies, and general programs for HR..
Provide ongoing development and mentoring for staff within the unit.
Serve as a visionary for the department as it moves to being a more responsive unit sensitive to environmental change and shifting priorities for employees.
Manage and coordinate university labor relations, including labor negotiations, grievance and arbitration management, and workers’ compensation.
Oversee the University’s EEO/Affirmative Action work and collaborate with the Office of Inclusive Excellence on diversity recruitment and retention goals.
Oversee the administration of the ADA policies and procedures.
Direct and monitor the payroll function of the University; the administration of the University’s benefits programs; and oversee the employee health and wellness initiatives.
Manage, oversee, develop, and maintain responsibility for learning and development programs and activities for professional staff, and collaborate with the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs and Professional Development on programs for faculty.
Oversee the implementation and management of HR technology systems, including the selection process for a new talent management system.
Serve as a key member of the Business Affairs leadership team.
Ball State University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community.