The University of Nottingham has been providing an outstanding student experience for over 140 years and is a leading university of worldwide significance with established campuses in UK, China and Malaysia. Our award-winning Nottingham campus is only 15 minutes by bus or tram to our vibrant city centre.
Your role as Second Chef
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated Chef to join our team at the University of Nottingham. Based at our Jubilee Campus you will assist and deputise for the Head Chef, managing the kitchen and dining room team and associated operations, often working independently ensuring the preparation and service of a high quality and consistent product for students during term time and conference guests during vacation periods. Duties will also include the preparation of food for high profile events including formal dinners and conferences ensuring all relevant Food Safety and Health and Safety documentation is completed.
Candidates should be qualified to 706 1/2 or NVQ 1/2 in Food Production, or have substantial relevant experience gained within a similar large scale catering environment. You will have excellent cooking skills and considerable supervisory experience. Knowledge of a range of Microsoft Office products and experience of stock management are also essential for this role.
Further details regarding the duties for the post can be found on the attached job role profile.
- Hours of work are full-time (36.25 per week), worked 5 days out of 7 to be arranged and will include working evenings and regular weekends. Flexibility will be required. Arrangements for job sharing may be considered.
What’s in it for you
- Ongoing support to develop your skills and gain industry recognized qualifications to further your career ambitions that may lead to different career paths and career progression.
- An excellent holiday allowance of 25 days, plus additional university closure days and bank holidays
- Employee Assistance Program and Counseling Service- 24/7 support.
- Supplier discounts, travel, and reward schemes.
- Staff Networks, events and activities and state of the art sports facilities.
- A permanent post for 52 weeks of the year,
- The tools you need to do a great job.
- Staff referral scheme
- Uniform provided.
The successful candidate for this post will be expected to attend the Estates and Facilities training courses which will run each day, Monday to Friday mornings on the first week of appointment. Further details will be given at interview.
All of our vacancies are available to view at:
Informal inquiries may be addressed to David Butler, email email@example.com. Please note that applications sent directly to this email address will not be accepted. Please quote ref. NHE369122.
Our University is a supportive, inclusive, caring and positive community. We warmly welcome those of different cultures, ethnicities and beliefs – indeed this very diversity is vital to our success, it is fundamental to our values and enriches life on campus. We welcome applications from UK, Europe and from across the globe. For more information on the support we offer our international colleagues, see our Moving to Nottingham pages.
For successful international applicants, we provide financial support for your visa and the immigration health surcharge, plus an interest-free loan to help cover the cost of immigration-related expenses for any dependents accompanying you to the UK. For more information please see our webpage on Financial support for visas and the immigration health surcharge.