The University of Texas Permian Basin’s VPBA welcomes applications for the position of Associate Vice President of Facilities Management
$135,000.00 depending on qualifications
The Associate Vice President for Facilities Management is responsible for the planning, design, renovation, construction, efficient operation, and maintenance of all University facilities, including capital project development and management. Responsible for operations budgets, capital budgets, and long-range facilities plans based on university forecasts of current and future needs.
1. Oversee the maintenance and management of campus facilities and systems, including but not limited to mechanical, electrical, fire/life safety, plumbing, waste management, and sustainability.
2. Develop and execute effective facility management planning, budgeting, and programs.
3. Manage the fiscal impact, contracts, and budgets of facilities projects and contracts.
4. Serve as owner representative on contracted facility projects and other related contracted services.
5. Represent the University at weekly construction meetings and make recommendations on items impacting project scope, budget or schedule.
6. Coordinate and manage all aspects of capital project development, design, and implementation.
7. Ensure building operations and construction projects comply with all local, UT-System, and State laws and regulations and safety standards.
8. Provide recommendations for the acquisition and disposition of all properties.
9. Provide leadership and oversight in all areas of facility planning and operation, including capital project management.
10. Communicate regularly with executive management as requested to share progress on objectives and create meaningful reports for executive review.
11. Manage space and planning and utilization for the University, including related reports for the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), the creation of space plans for existing and new facilities, and space utilization plans for all UTPB facilities, existing and planned.
12. Supervise the selection, assignment, and activities of external architects, engineers, planners, and consultants as appropriate in the planning, construction, and renovation of physical facilities.
13. Coordinate with local, state, and UT-System regulatory offices for surveys, inspections, capital improvement programs, and approvals of facilities projects.
14. Manage the development and maintenance of the Campus Master plan.
15. Promote environmental sustainability through methods of recycling, energy saving practices, water management, and reduction of solid waste.
16. Ensure compliance with all environmental regulations and policies in conjunction with federal, state, and local governmental guidelines, rules, and laws.
17. Actively participate in all University Emergency Preparedness drills and incident command operations. Responsible for identifying key personnel to serve on emergency drills and/or act in emergency situations.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, or related field is required.
2. Seven (7) years or more of progressively responsible experience in facilities planning, project construction, and management, or related areas.
3. Strong knowledge of building codes and safety regulations, applicable standards and laws, and leadership/management skills to provide the ability to assure that all facility tasks are completed appropriately. Experience working closely with architects and engineers on capital projects from concept through construction administration.
4. Strong strategic, budgeting, operational planning, and written and verbal communication skills are required.
5. Basic understanding of public-private partnerships, as well as debt financing for capital projects.
6. Ability to balance both short- and long-term institutional goals with competing priorities. Unencumbered driver’s license.
7. Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
1. Master’s degree
2. Five years of experience as an institutional Director of Facilities or similar responsibility is preferred.
Required Application Materials
1. Cover letter
3. List of References
4. Transcripts (Preferred)
5. Letters of Recommendation (Preferred)
Conditions of Employment
1. The job description is not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees. Employees may perform other related duties as assigned by their immediate supervisor.
2. Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance.
3. Once hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of the hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Applicants must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States by time of hire. UTPB participates in e-Verify.
4. Employees must be able and willing to travel and perform duties away from campus as necessary and must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
5. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
6. UT Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Generally, the hours for this position are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 – 5:30 pm; Friday, 8:00 am – 12:00 pm with a one-hour lunch. The individual holding this position may need to be available early morning, evening, and on weekends to meet the needs of the department. Hours worked may differ with some departments.
Standard Working Conditions
1. Able to lift various materials up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis.
2. Able to bend, crouch, and reach continuously.
3. Physically able to remain seated, frequently to continuously.
4. Able to remain standing up to 15% of the time.
5. Possesses dexterity abilities required to perform job duties including extensive keyboard work, operating office equipment, performing filing, and other job-related responsibilities that include extensive wrist and hand movement.
6. Standard working conditions may differ depending on department and occupation
1. UT Permian Basin offers an excellent compensation package including Heath, Retirement, & Fringe Benefits for employees.
2. Coverage includes Medical, Prescriptions, Life Insurance, AD&D, and matching retirement provided by UTPB for the employee.
3. You may also add Dental, Vision, Family, Spending Accounts, Additional Retirement, and a few other coverages as options too.
4. Fringe benefits include Tuition Reimbursement (after one year of service), Wellness Breaks, Employee Assistant Program (EAP), and meal deals, among other perks and discounts!
5. Our benefits package, along with an ample leave policy, make for a great total compensation package.
About the University
The University of Texas Permian Basin is located in Odessa, Texas. It was authorized by the Texas Legislature in 1969 and founded in 1973. The Permian Basin is one of the fastest-growing, culturally vibrant, economically invigorated regions of the country – full of industry, culture, and wide-open spaces. At the academic heart of this area sits The University of Texas Permian Basin – which every year, delivers smart, savvy leaders across the US
As a regional, comprehensive institution, The University of Texas Permian Basin serves a diverse community of students from the region, the state, and beyond. Through excellence in student-centered teaching, learning, research, and public service, the University cultivates engaged citizens and impacts lives while advancing the technology and public interests of West Texas.
Our vision is that the University of Texas Permian Basin will be an innovative, responsive university that thinks big and lives local. We will lead in advancing education, research, economic competitiveness, and cultural enrichment.
Visit our social media sites below for more information.
Thank you for your consideration in today’s job market. We look forward to connecting with you more in the future.