About This Role:
The Vice President for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging is an executive leader who catalyzes, fosters, and promotes a university-wide culture of inclusive excellence where individuals from all racial and ethnic identities, ages, nationalities, social and economic status, sexual Orientation, gender identity/expression, religious, political, and ideological perspectives, veteran status, and physical and mental abilities are able to thrive and be engaged. The Vice President provides strategic and programmatic leadership for diversity, equity, and inclusion programs and initiatives that advance diversity and inclusion as a critical component of social, academic, and intellectual life at K-State.
Key areas of responsibility include university-wide DEIB strategic planning and monitoring; reporting and analysis; university climate surveys and initiatives; policy review with a focus on removing structural barriers to access and success for all; university DEIB events and communications; intercultural learning initiatives; and institutional equity.
The Vice President reports directly to the President and serves as the senior diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging advisor to the President and university leadership. They serve on the President’s Cabinet and President’s Advisory Council and chair the President’s Commission on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging; the President’s Commission on the Status of Women; and the President’s Committee on Religious, Spiritual, and Nonreligious Diversity.
The full position description, including required qualifications, may be found on the President’s website.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state. edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited institution, and five to ten years of leadership experience, which includes strategic responsibility for activities related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging to include:
- Demonstrated success as a collaborator and relationship builder, with strong interpersonal skills and ability to build coalitions and collaborative working relationships with a broad range of diverse individuals and groups, including senior executives, to achieve results.
- Demonstrated administrative skills, including planning and financial and personnel management.
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and agility and ability to build trust and credibility and navigate a complex landscape.
- Demonstrated success in identifying and implementing best practices of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and an excellent command of modern diversity and inclusion standards, concepts, best practices, and issues in higher education.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with experience in multiple communication modes, including social media, with the ability to articulate the importance of diversity and inclusion to the broader educational mission of higher education institutions.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, and guidelines related to diversity, inclusion, and nondiscrimination in higher education, including Title IX, Title VI, Title VII, Clery Act, ADEA, ADA, and Section 504.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to provide oversight for assessments related to campus climate, diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Strong cross-cultural communication and conflict resolution skills needed to navigate complex situations to resolve problems, build consensus, and reconcile competing interests.
- Terminal degree or doctorate.
- 10 or more years of progressive leadership experience advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and community building in public higher education.
- Proven record of success in fund development and external fundraising and related project administration.
- Strong track record as an organizational leader in managing change, with an understanding of the contexts, cultures, and politics within institutions that impact the implementation of effective diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging change efforts.
- Demonstrated success in partnering with faculty in curriculum development efforts that advance diversity, inclusion, belonging, and social justice.
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively to develop and implement recruitment and retention strategies focused on building a diverse workforce.
- History of effective leadership in a culture of shared governance.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Parker Executive Search is assisting Kansas State University in this search. For full consideration, all nominations and candidate application materials should be submitted to Parker by August 1, 2022.
All applications, nominations and inquiries are invited. Applications should include letter of interest, full resume, and contact information of at least five references.
Application materials should be submitted using Parker’s candidate portal.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: 10 Jun 2022
Application Closes:Open until filled