Trinity College seeks a creative problem solver, engaging communicator and collaborative leader with an innate curiosity about the future of technology to become its next Associate Vice President (AVP) and Chief Technology Officer (CIO). The AVP & CTO works closely with the Vice President of Library & Information Technology to set technology strategy, vision, priorities, and design solutions to achieve the College’s strategic outcomes and operational efficiencies.
Founded in 1823, the College enrolls more than 2,100 undergraduate students who come from 48 states and 82 countries. Trinity is a diverse community. Nearly a quarter of US students are people of color and 60% of students receive financial aid. The College leverages its urban location as an opportunity for students, faculty and staff to engage with the community and work collaboratively to impact its surrounding neighborhoods. The College enters into its bicentennial year steered by Summit, a multi-faceted strategic plan for the future. Modernizing technology in physical and digital spaces will be an important enabler of these goals.
Library and Information Technology Services
Library and Information Technology Services (LITS) is a single organization that integrates expertise in library science, research, digital scholarship, data and technology to serve students, faculty and staff. Under the direction of the VP for Library and Information Technology Services, LITS’ 65 professional staff organized into three pillars of excellence: Libraries and Distinctive Collections, Data and Analytics, and Information Technology. The AVP & CTO guides the IT team to maintain the College’s technical infrastructure, support classroom technology, deploy, integrate and maintain its enterprise applications, and provide constituent support services.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Access
LITS actively pursues Trinity’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and access. LITS’ partners with the Human Resources and the Office of the Chief Diversity Officer to implement inclusive hiring practices. Library collections and exhibits help to educate the community and feature diverse authors and content creators. Beginning this year, all LITS staff members will develop personal DEI statements and will contribute to the College’s racial justice action plans. Technology solutions and services are examined for their ability to further equity, inclusion and access. Many members of the LITS team are active in College DEI training, programs and engagement.
AVP & CTO Leadership Agenda
The College is embarking on a multi-year effort to modernize its technology and transform how it is used to support teaching and scholarship, student services, and administrative operations. In collaboration with the Vice President, the AVP & CTO will guide the development and lead the execution of a comprehensive technology roadmap to support the College with a modern set of enterprise systems, technology enhanced learning spaces, upgraded network capabilities and improved security, identity and access management solutions. The AVP & CTO will refine and implement the College’s multi-cloud strategic direction and work in partnership with other LITS leaders to share expertise and further integrate services. They provide operational oversight of all IT services and lead LITS’ nearly 40 IT staff. Key priorities include:
- Enable LITS to recruit, retain and develop high performing IT teams with a positive, collaborative culture, opportunities for professional development and growth and the capacity to meet the College’s needs.
- Complete the development of a multi-year roadmap and financial plan to sequence efforts to upgrade College technology in alignment with needs, available resources and capacity for change.
- Lead a program of change to optimize and modernize the College’s administrative and student information systems including the replacement of its core ERP solution.
- Deploy new identity and access management solution and process to support an improved digital experience for students, faculty and staff.
- Support the Chief Data Officer to improve data management practices and deploy a cloud based analytics infrastructure including data warehouse, data lake and a modern data integration infrastructure.
- Engage with faculty and LITS colleagues to establish future classroom designs, standards and investment requirements to support varied disciplines and pedagogies.
- Continually improve the maturity of technology and service management processes and practices.
Qualifications and Experience
The AVP & CTO will be a creative problem solver, engaging collaborative leader and curious thinker about the future of technology in higher education. The strongest candidates will present a successful record of contribution to strategic planning, budget and resource management, and personnel development.
For consideration in this role candidates will demonstrate the following required qualification and experiences:
- 7+ years of progressive experience providing technology to a complex organization with multiple stakeholder groups with differing needs
- 5+ years of experience directly managing staff
- Evidence of successful budget management
- Effective interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Knowledge of current and emerging best practices in technology management
- Experience leading or contributing significantly to processes to identify new technologies in support of organizational objectives
- Led or significantly contributed to the implementation of a widely used technology
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and access; Culturally competent with respect to issues such as racial, cultural, religious, sexual, and gender identity
We are interested in meeting candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Competitive candidates will possess many of the following preferred experiences:
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree
- Commitment to the liberal arts model of higher education and a passion for the mission of Trinity College
- Understanding of the issues facing higher education and liberal arts colleges and a curiosity about the role of information and technology in teaching, scholarship and student success
- Ability to marshal the strengths of, and provide mentorship to the IT team while also forging connections with stakeholders within and beyond the college
- Developing an organizational culture that fosters growth, promotes retention, and enables high performance
- A commitment to shared governance
- Experience with higher education ERP solutions and implementations
- Understanding of the inherent benefits and challenges of cloud technology and experience transitioning an organization to cloud based infrastructure and applications.
Trinity has retained Next Generation Leadership Partners to assist with the CTO search. Inquiries and nominations may be made in confidence by contacting Next Generation’s Phil Goldstein email@example.com. Applicants should email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For full consideration, applications should be received by August 31St.
The College is committed to building a representative and diverse faculty, administrative staff, and student body. Trinity is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Applicants with disabilities should request, in advance, any needed accommodation in order to participate in the application process.